What are the types of acne?
Acne can appear as:
- Blackheads- Small, dark lesions that appear on the skin. Caused by sebum build up.
- Whiteheads- Formed when dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria are trapped within one of your pores. Usually white or bump-like.
- Pimples- Formed when excess sebum and dead skin cells get clogged in the pores.
- Painful cysts- Painful infection when bacteria get trapped inside the pores, making it red and swollen. Cysts can go deep into the skin, creating red bumps that contain pus.
What are the effective ways to treat acne?
- Vitamin A (Retinal) – The recommended frontline treatment: Helps regulate skin turnover (reducing pore blockages) and reduces inflammation, 1 – in ESK’s Ultimate A and Ultimate A+.
- Retinal, according to the evidence, is the most effective and is the least irritating form of Vitamin A 2.
- Alpha Hydroxy acids (Glycolic, Lactic and Salicylic Acid) – exfoliate the skin helping to clear blockages. Glycolic acid also improves the effectiveness of Retinal (Vitamin A) – in ESK’s Hydroxy Cleanser and Smooth Serum.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) – helps manage (reduce) the skin’s natural oil production – in ESK’s B Calm, B Quenched, Ultimate A and Ultimate A+.
- Vitamin B3 has anti-inflammatory properties 3 and has been shown to improve the skin barrier function4.
- Vitamin B3 is one of the few ingredients that can help with acne and not irritate the skin either.
- Benzoyl Peroxide – Antimicrobial. Not used in ESK due to it’s drying, irritation and potential pro-aging effects.
- Fix your diet – There is some evidence that diets high in sugar and also consuming dairy products is linked to a higher rate of acne5.
ESK’s Acne Kit – everything you need to effectively improve acne.