The short answer is YES! We have just developed a Salicylic Acid to help Acne called Hydroxy Overnight Mask!
Evidence for salicylic acid improving acne-prone skin is extensive. What’s more this evidence ranges from 2% (1) (put on twice daily) to 30%. (2) (used every 2 weeks.)
By Dr. Ginni and Daniel, ESK Founders
What does salicylic acid do?
There are four main factors blamed for the development of acne. First is an overproduction of oil or sebum, second is plugging of the pilosebaceous ducts with keratin from old and dead cells. The third is the disruption of the skin’s own natural bacteria, especially by P. Acnes bacteria and the fourth is inflammation. (3)
Salicylic acid has effects on three of these causes.:
- It is an anti-inflammatory. (4)
- It helps with skin cell turnover, especially in the follicles. This helps stop a build-up of old, dead cells in the follicles that get invaded with bacteria leading to pimples. (5)
- They have some activity against the bacteria known to cause acne (although less than antibiotics admittedly!) (6)
We as yet don’t have any single treatment that works on all 4 causes of acne. And we often need combination treatments when trying to tackle acne. (7)
What do I need to look out for when using salicylic acid?
Salicylic acid tends to be pretty well tolerated. But mild stinging may occur especially on areas of broken skin and when higher concentrations are used.
How often should it be used?
Studies vary. At lower doses, it can be used twice daily and at higher doses, weekly.
We created the Hydroxy Overnight Mask to help people with various skin conditions, including acne add another arrow to their quiver to get their BEST SKIN! Let us know how it goes for you? I am LOVING it!
What is the Hydroxy Overnight Mask?
The overnight mask has Salicylic Acid, which provides the top 3 benefits for treating acne that we mentioned above. In addition to this, we have added soothing Aloe Vera for hydration, making it a gentle and effective leave-on night mask for acne-prone with skin.
The Hydroxy Overnight Mask helps to remove keratin and old skin cells while you sleep, ensuring new skin can thrive. It can also be used as a treatment for dry, chapped skin and for skin that are more sensitive to Alpha Hydroxy Acids.
Try it now and tell us what you think!
Other articles you might be interested in:
- Should I exfoliate if I have acne?
- Why am I breaking out?
- Acne: Effective Evidence-Based methods to tackle pimples
- Do I have Acne or Rosacea
- Roaccutane & your skin: Dr. Ginni shares what you need to know!